- Complete Registration Form. If you have your own placement, provide details of the industry contact and phone and we will follow up.
- On-the job learning is best with people who the student doesn’t know- it’s more like real work.
- Nominate 4 preferences and be happy with the result.
- Discuss preferences, suburbs, and transport requirements with family / household.
- List any special needs / requirements (will be shared with host to provide support).
- Return the form to the school ASAP- VSC cannot guarantee placement with less than 8 weeks notice.
- Expect to receive placement details 2 weeks prior to the placement.
- Phone the employer and organise an interview:
- Have the Workplace Agreement signed by the employer
- Discuss start, lunch and finish times
- Discuss dress requirements
- Discuss activities to be undertaken while at work
- Discuss extracurricular activities and any special needs eg: sport or part time work
- Record the employer contact details
- Return your signed Workplace Agreement to the school
When in the workplace
This is a great place to start getting real references for your future.
- Attendance, appearance, attitude, respect.
- You have responsibilities to your school, family and your employer.
- Attendance: Attend work every day and be punctual. You must also attend an interview prior to the placement.
- Appearance: Be neat and tidy at all times; fit in with the standards of dress required by the employer.
- Initiative and enthusiasm: Listen and follow instructions. If you don’t understand something, ask for help. Look for things to do – don’t stand around when you have finished one task.
- Effective interaction: Positive teamwork with co-workers. Be polite and show respect. Address adults correctly (eg Mr, Mrs), phone the employer and organise an interview.
- Safe work practices and non-discriminatory work practices: Follow all workplace health and safety regulations and rules.
- If you want to continue in this career, ask your host for information on courses, career prospects and any contacts to help you get started.
Resume and job application assistance
For more information contact Deborah Moseley – Work Experience Coordinator on 0417 624 417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org